Monday, December 10, 2012

Two Days 'Til Transfer

In case any of you have been waiting with bated breath to find out whether I was going to have a 3 or 5 day transfer, I apologize for keeping you hanging.  I got the call at 3:30 yesterday that we will indeed be having a five day transfer.  So I quickly switched my flight and hotel room for a Tuesday-Thursday trip.  I will be flying in tomorrow night, then my IPs will be picking me up at the airport and taking me out for dinner before dropping me off at my hotel.  Since I will pretty much only be allowed to sit after transfer, it will be nice to see them beforehand.  I haven't seen them since July!

In other news, I stopped my lupron and started taking the progesterone injections/suppositories on Wednesday.  I have to do the suppositories 3 times a day, and I find that I end up getting stomach cramps shortly after each one.  I am not sure if this is a normal symptom, I will ask someone at transfer.

As for the PIO injection, I mentioned previously that my husband is a medical professional who gives shots on a daily basis.  Despite this, I found it very difficult to do the first shot on Saturday night.  Even though I wasn't the slightest bit squeamish about giving myself the lupron injections, I found I didn't like the idea of being stuck from behind when I couldn't see what was going on.  So first I wanted to lie down on the bed.  Then I didn't like that, so I wanted to stand up.  Then I decided I'd rather lie down again.  Then I started giggling, which started my husband giggling.  Then I got scared that he would shake too much and hurt me...so I started crying.  After we both finally calmed down, our conversation went something like this:

Him:  "Ok, ready, go."
Me: "...Are you doing it?"
Him:  "Yes, I'm injecting the meds now."
Me:  "Oh.  I thought it would be worse than that."

The worst thing about the shot is that since the progesterone is suspended in oil, it is very thick and takes a long time to inject all of the medicine into the muscle.  Then when he was finished with the shot and was putting pressure on the site to stop the bleeding and trying to massage the oil into the muscle, I found that rather painful (like pushing on a bruise).  So we decided from now on he will stick and I will rub.  Hopefully it won't be a 20 minute ordeal like it was the first time.  Afterwards I had a small bruise at the injection site and what feels like a sore bum muscle.  Luckily, since I only have to do a shot once every three days, so it worked out that I will not have to try to figure out how to give myself one while I am in Chicago for transfer.

Since I've now been on progesterone for a few days, my body seems to think it's pregnant already.  I have had waves of nausea and have been more tired than normal.  In addition, pregnancy brain seems to have already struck.  This morning when I was shampooing my hair, I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get the suds going.  So I added some more, and still couldn't get any bubbles.  Then I realized I was using my conditioner instead of my shampoo.  After my shower, I proceeded to spend 5 minutes looking for my wedding ring, only to discover it was already on my  hand.  Let the pregnancy fun begin!

2 comments:

  1. Put a heating pad on your butt after you do the shot to disperse the oil! Also roll the syringe between your hands before injecting, it will thin the oil a bit from the warmth and make it easier to inject! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The big days is almost here ... so excited for all of you :-)

    ReplyDelete