Thursday, November 22, 2012

Giving Thanks

It is Thanksgiving day, and tradition tells us we must recite a list of all the things we are thankful for.  I'm going to skip the normal list this year, and stop to ponder my thanks for something I'd never given much thought to before recently...my fertility.

My husband and I had an easy time getting pregnant.  We decided we wanted a child, went off birth control, and a month later we were holding a positive pregnancy test.  I sailed through my pregnancy without so much as a minor complication.  I delivered a healthy, perfect baby girl at 40 weeks gestation. 

Even before surrogacy took me directly into the world of infertility, all I had to do was look around to see couples who were not so lucky as us.  I had friends and coworkers who had struggled through multiple miscarriages or month after month of negative pregnancy tests.  People who were trying and hoping so desperately for what I had taken for granted.  It is these people who led me to fill out that first surrogate application 10 months ago.  Now, I have met my IPs, people I never would have known if it weren't for this journey.  I have heard about their years of struggling, their pursuit of every other avenue before turning to surrogacy.  I know that I am now their last hope for the baby they have been longing for.

I just wanted to take a moment to express my thanks to fate, or whatever, has given me the ability to not only be able to have my own family with such ease, but also to pay it forward to someone else.  I know I have complained about how slowly this journey has gone so far, but I know that when I see them holding their baby in their arms, it will all be worth it.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment