Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Psych Screening is Scheduled

So I have my psych screening all set up for June 26.  It was more complicated than I thought it would be to get it scheduled.  My clinic requires that my husband and I attend a session for our evaluation, as well as take the MMPI (which I understand to be a long and tedious test of true/false questions designed to catch certain personality disorders).  It was difficult to find someone who was qualified both for a surrogacy pysch screening and to give the MMPI, but my agency managed to find someone located reasonably close to me.

Jesse is going to call the clinic and see if we can at least make an appointment for my medical screening now, or if we have to wait for the psych results to come back first.  At first I was super bummed that we had to do this process in two steps - normally a surrogate is able to get the med and psych screening knocked out at the same time, but every clinic has different requirements.  I was really hoping we could get all my screening done in June so we could do contracts and start meds in July and transfer in August, but it doesn't look like that will happen.

The reason I was really hoping for August was that we have a trip to Italy booked for October.  Because the weeks before and after transfer require so many meds and monitoring appointments, there is probably no way that I can do a transfer in September or October, so we will have to wait all the way until November.  Which means I will have to be hugely pregnant in St. Louis in the summertime.  And since contracts require that you are bound to your home state for most of your last trimester, there will be no summer vacations for us next year.

BUT, it will be nice to be able to take my once-in-a-lifetime trip to Italy without having to worry about first trimester morning sickness and fatigue.  It also means I will not be pregnant for my 30th birthday (also in October).  Probably the biggest plus for me, it also means that I can stop stressing about getting everything done quickly.  The last month or so I've been constantly checking the calendar to see which days in the coming weeks are best for traveling to Chicago for screening (my husband's schedule is a little tricky).  I've been counting up days in my head, trying to figure out the last possible day we need to get X or Y done in order to make an August transfer.  I think now that I have it in my head that I have all the way until November, I will be able to let all that go.  It's a relief to know that I won't be trying to rush through contracts or having a panic attack if there are any hang ups along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment