Thursday, April 26, 2012

Opening Up

At first, this blog was just a private way for me to record what happens during this surrogacy journey.  I wasn't sure I wanted to do this, and I didn't want to make my intentions public just to change my mind later.  Now I feel like I'm past the point of no return.  Even if things don't work out with these particular IPs, I am committed to the process.  I have started sharing my intentions with some family members and friends, and brought it up to my doctor at my annual exam yesterday.

I want to share my story with others because when it comes to surrogacy, people are curious.  Surrogacy has become much more common in the past several years, and most people have heard of it but don't have any personal experience with it.  Even the doctor I spoke to yesterday said that their practice had never had a surrogate as a patient before.  She reacted very positively and thought it would be a wonderful thing for their office to be involved in, and she had several questions about it.  People wonder how it works, and why people choose to become a part of it, and I think that's a great thing. 

As is usually the case, the news isn't the best place to get information on something like this.  It seems that surrogacy is often sensationalized: IPs characterized as baby-hungry people taking advantage of poor, young girls, or surrogates looking for an easy way to make a quick buck, or focusing on the one-in-a-million cases of complicated custody battles.  I'm hoping that this blog and the others I have linked on my page will help to educate anyone who is interested in finding out more about the process, and providing REAL insight into what goes on.

If you have questions, please don't hesitate to ask me!  I am more than happy to answer any of your questions about surrogacy, and will post answers on my blog.  Chances are that if you have a question, someone else out there is wondering the same thing.  Thanks for following along with my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment