Monday, July 23, 2012

Thyroid Problems

I received a call from the clinic this morning that my blood work came back and my thyroid levels are elevated.

Ugh.

I tried to glean a little more information about exactly how high my thyroid levels were and what the implications were, but I'm not sure the person on the phone was qualified to give that information.  She did say that they like to have you between a 0.4 and a 4, and mine was a 5.8.  Since medical numbers mean nothing to me, I'm not sure if that means that my levels are just a little bit elevated, or if that's very high.

She told me I need to contact the doctor at my local clinic to be retested and possibly be put on medication.  She didn't say anything regarding whether this was cycle-cancelling news, or if I have a certain amount of time to get my levels corrected, or what.  I emailed the nurse coordinator to find out more information, so hopefully I will hear back soon.

From just basic knowledge, I know that wacky thyroid levels can lead to miscarriage.  So this is obviously something that needs to be addressed.  Hopefully the number was just a bad test and next time it will come back fine.  I'm pretty sure I was tested during my last pregnancy, which was just a year ago, and they were fine then.  Although I do have a family history of thyroid issues (along with just about everything else - seriously, I would be the worst egg donor candidate ever), so it wouldn't shock me if mine were slightly out of the normal range.

No comments:

Post a Comment