Friday, July 12, 2013

33 Weeks and Appointment Update

I'm sure you all have been waiting at the edge of your seats to see how my appointment went. Head down or head up? Vaginal delivery or c-section? Well at the ultrasound yesterday, we learned that I no longer have one, but TWO breech babies. So it's nice to know that all of the chiropractor appointments and spinning babies exercises have made it possible for the other baby to move the WRONG way. Baby B's position really doesn't matter as we could try for vaginal delivery as long as Baby A was head down, but it's just adding a bit of insult to injury. So while the doctor said that there is still a slim chance that A can flip, I am mentally preparing myself for a c-section at this point.

The rest of the ultrasound was good. Both babies still look great, they are growing well and have good fluid levels. Baby A is measuring 4lbs even, and B is measuring 4lbs, 6oz. They were relaxing during the ultrasound, with Baby A smooshing his face into his placenta and Baby B turned face down, so we didn't really get any cute pictures. But at least my IPs were able to make it to this ultrasound and get a look at their little guys.

Then we had our appointment with the doctor and we went over the plan for the rest of the pregnancy. Starting next week I will have an ultrasound (to check growth, fluid levels, and positions) and a non-stress test (where they hook the babies up to monitors for about 20 minutes to make sure they aren't in any sort of distress) once a week. I will meet with the doctor in two weeks, and then every week after that. So starting two weeks from now, I'm going to be spending pretty much a whole afternoon at the doctor's office once a week - non-stress test, ultrasound, and OB appointment all in one. We will not be doing any internal exams to check for dilation unless I request them because I have concerns about lots of contractions or something. The doctor said that they don't really give a good indication of when babies will come, and they can introduce infection and irritate the cervix or even start labor before it should be starting.  Probably in 3 weeks or so if I haven't already had the babies, we will pick a c-section date, which will most likely be sometime the week of the 12th.

We also found out that my doctor will be on vacation the week of August 5th. What a pleasant surprise right at the end of the pregnancy. Who wants to guess the probability that the babies will decide to come that week? 90%? 95%?

As far as how I'm feeling, some days are better than others but I'm definitely getting ready to be done. My ankles have completely disappeared due to swelling, I have round ligament and pubic bone pain that comes and goes, and my boobs sometimes feel like they are engorged with milk already. It's getting harder to sleep, especially because I'm woken up at least once or twice a night with contractions, and then have to stay up while the babies have a dance party for a while. But, we have less than 5 weeks to go, so I can handle it!

No comments:

Post a Comment