Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Surrogate Girls' Weekend!

Last weekend my agency sponsored their first annual surrogate get together weekend!  It was a lot of fun.  We met up in Chicago for the weekend.  Unfortunately, it was bad timing for my IPs as they were out of town, so I missed them.  But it was the first time I got to meet and talk to other surrogates in person.  I really enjoyed meeting others who had the same calling I have.

Since it was my agency's first attempt at hosting the get together, only the girls who participate in the Facebook group were invited to keep it small.  Out of about 20 girls in the Facebook group, 10 of us showed up for girls weekend.  There were people in all different stages of their journeys, from just matching, to cycling, to pregnant, to already having been through the experience and delivered their surrobabies.  It was really fun to hear about the different stories that people had about how their journeys went and about their relationships with their IPs.  I also got to meet my agency rep for the first time, and she was just as wonderful in person as she is over the phone.  I felt like even though I had never met any of the girls before, we all had a bit of a special bond because of our same desire to help build families.  It's one of those things that just any old person isn't cut out for.  There are so many ways a person can make a difference in the world and make it just a little bit better - and we have chosen (or been created for?) this particular path.

So after a bit of sight seeing and some delicious food (umm, I gained 3 pounds in 3 days.  I know I'm pregnant with twins, but geez!), I returned home to St. Louis with a feeling like I'm part of a select club of sorts.  I'm already looking forward to next year's get together!

No comments:

Post a Comment